Smoked Gouda & Chicken Macaroni Casserole
A supremely delicious comfort food dish.
Serves 6 |
|8 oz elbow macaroni |
|3 tablespoons butter |
|3 tablespoons flour |
|1 cup chicken broth |
|1/2 cup heavy cream |
|4 oz smoked Gouda cheese, shredded |
|2 cups cubed cooked chicken |
|1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed |
|1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs |
|2 teaspoons butter, melted |
| Salt, to taste |
| Pepper, to taste |
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, until the flour mixture is well blended and bubbly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and cream. Stir in cheese until melted and mixture is smooth; season with salt and pepper. Stir until thickened, then add cooked chicken and vegetables and cook about 1 minute more.
- Combine sauce with cooked and drained macaroni and pour into a 2-quart casserole.
- Toss breadcrumbs with melted butter; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes. (Until casserole is browned and bubbly)