Sunshine Orange Cake
A bright and perfectly sweet dessert.
Serves 1 cake |
|2 cups cake flour |
|1 tablespoon baking powder |
|1/4 teaspoon salt |
|1/2 cup buttermilk |
|1/4 cup orange juice |
|1 teaspoon grated orange peel |
|1 1/2 cups sugar |
|1/4 cup vegetable oil |
|1 egg yolk |
|4 egg whites |
| Confectioners sugar, for garnish |
| Orange-peel strips, for garnish |
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 6-cup decorative or plain tube pan with vegetable cooking spray. Dust with flour and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, orange juice, and grated orange peel, mix well.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, oil, and egg yolk until crumbs form. Stir in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a rack and cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and orange-peel strips.