Key Lime Meringue Pie
The classic pie just got better.
Serves 6 |
|1 cup graham cracker crumbs |
|1/2 cup sugar |
|3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted |
|2 cans sweetened condensed milk, 14 oz. each |
|1 cup key lime juice |
|2 eggs |
|4 egg whites |
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and butter and mix until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan, and bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before filling.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325° F.
- Combine the condensed milk, lime juice, and whole eggs in a non-reactive mixing bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined and smooth. Transfer the filling to the cooled pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Place the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar while beating. Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, another 1 to 2 minutes. Do not over mix.
- Using a soft spatula, gently top the pie with the meringue. Be sure to create plenty of peaks. Use a blowtorch to caramelize the meringue, or place under the broiler until golden brown.