Easy Lemon Buttons
A perfectly balanced sweet and tart treat.
Serves 30 cookies |
|2 cups flour |
|1/2 teaspoon baking powder |
|1/4 teaspoon salt |
|1/2 cup granulated sugar |
|6 tablespoons unsalted margarine |
|1/4 cup light cream cheese |
|1 large egg |
|2 teaspoons grated lemon peel |
|2/3 cup lemon marmalade |
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together sugar, margarine, and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon peel. At low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture until blended. Shape dough into a disk; wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- On a floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Using 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Place cookies, 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Reroll scraps and cut out more cookies.
- Bake cookies, in batches, until golden, about 10 minutes. Place baking sheets on wire racks and cool slightly. Transfer cookies to racks; cool completely.
- Spread some marmalade on the flat side of 1 cookie. Sandwich together with flat side of another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies and marmalade.