Upside Down Blueberry Cobbler
Perfectly fruity, juicy and sweet.
Serves 6 |
|2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries |
|1 1/2 cups water |
|1/4 cup shortening |
|1 1/2 cups sugar |
|1 cup flour |
|2 teaspoon baking powder |
|1/8 teaspoon salt |
|1/2 cup milk |
|1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg |
|3 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces |
|1 tablespoon lemon juice |
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine blueberries and 1 1/2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour mixture through a strainer into a small bowl, reserve juice. Transfer blueberries to a separate bowl.
- Beat shortening and 1 cup sugar in a mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Once mixed, transfer to shortening mixture and slowly add milk to the mixture. Beat together until well mixed.
- Pour batter into greased baking dish. Spoon berries over batter. Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and nutmeg. Sprinkle over berries.
- Add lemon juice to blueberry juice, stir together. Pour juice over top over cobbler.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes.