Zesty Roasted Pork Shoulder
A tropical taste excursion.
Serves 8 |
|4 lb bone-in pork shoulder |
|1 onion, thickly sliced |
|1 head garlic, peeled |
|2 tablespoons oregano |
|2 teaspoons cumin seeds |
|2 teaspoons salt |
|1 teaspoon black peppercorns |
|1 tablespoon olive oil |
|4 tablespoons fresh orange juice |
|2 tablespoons orange zest |
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice |
|1 tablespoon lemon zest |
- Arrange onion slices along the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Place garlic, oregano, cumin seeds, salt, black peppercorns, olive oil, orange juice and zest, lemon juice and zest in a blender. Pulse until a paste is formed.
- Rub the pork with the paste on all sides. Place pork on top of the onions.
- Cover pork and place in the refrigerator for about 4 hours, flipping once.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Place the pork in the pan into the oven. Roast for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes turn down the temperature to 325° F, and cook an additional 2 1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes with the juices.
- Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving, discard onions.