Chocolate Mint Snaps
Bite-sized chocolatey minty goodness.
Serves 72 |
|4 squares unsweetened chocolate |
|4 cups flour |
|2 teaspoons baking soda |
|1/2 teaspoon salt |
|1 1/4 cups shortening |
|2 cups sugar |
|2 eggs |
|1/3 cup light corn syrup |
|2 1/2 tablespoons water |
|2 teaspoons peppermint extract |
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract |
| Powdered sugar, for rolling |
- Melt chocolate squares in the top of a double boiler over simmering hot water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place parchment paper on two baking sheets.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and blend well. Add melted chocolate, corn syrup, water, peppermint and vanilla extracts, blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Sprinkle powdered sugar on a working surface and roll dough in sugar. Arrange doughballs about 2-inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Cool a few minutes on baking sheet and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.