Classic, simple and utterly scrumptious.
Serves 8 |
|2 1/4 cups milk |
|1 cup heavy cream |
|6 tablespoons unsalted butter |
|1 1/4 cups light brown sugar |
|3 egg yolks |
|1/4 cup cornstarch |
|1/4 teaspoon salt |
|2 tablespoons Scotch whisky |
|1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract |
|2 egg whites |
|2 tablespoons sugar |
|1 pie shell |
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk and heavy cream, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in brown sugar, and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly, to caramelize the mixture.
- Whisking constantly, gradually add the butter/brown sugar mixture to the hot milk/cream mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the hot/sugar mixture. Pour in the cornstarch and salt, whisk until dissolved. Whisk the cornstarch mixture back into the hot milk/sugar mixture in the saucepan. Add the scotch and whisk together. Cook until thick and just boiling.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour pie filling into the pie shell, place in the refrigerator and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whip the egg whites with the salt to soft peaks, then add sugar and whip until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy. Spread meringue on top of the pie. Place the pie in the oven and bake for 12 minutes, until meringue is a light golden brown.