Gluten-Free Onion Rings
A healthy way to enjoy this old-fashioned comfort food.
Serves 6 |
| vegetable oil, (for frying) |
|3 cups gluten-free pancake mix |
|2 tsp. chili powder |
| Salt |
|2 cups cold seltzer |
|3 large onions, (cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices and separated into rings) |
- Place 3 inches of oil in a large, deep skillet then heat over medium-high heat until it registers 380° F on a deep-fat thermometer.
- While oil heats, place gluten-free pancake mix, chili powder and 1.5 teaspoons salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the seltzer until a smooth batter forms.
- Working in batches, place onion rings in batter to coat. Let excess batter drip off onion rings then add to oil; fry for about 2 minutes, until golden, turning once during cooking time.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt.