A little sweet and slightly tart, perfect for breakfast.
Serves 12 |
|3 cups flour |
|3/4 cup sugar, more for topping |
|1 tablespoon baking powder |
|1/8 teaspoon fine salt |
|1/2 teaspoon nutmeg |
|1 stick unsalted butter |
|1 cup whole milk |
|2 eggs |
|1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest |
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract |
|2 cups fresh blueberries |
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a 12-muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put the butter in a microwaveable-safe dish or measuring cup. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk the milk, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla with the butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well, then stir with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are moistened but still lumpy. Do not overmix the batter or your muffins will be dense. Gently stir in the blueberries. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin and sprinkle the tops generously with sugar.
- Put the muffins in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the cooking. Cool muffins in the pan for a couple minutes. Turn the muffins out of the pan and let cool to room temperature.