Sweet and Tart Cantaloupe Ice Cream
A surprisingly tasty unconventional ice cream.
Serves 12 |
|1 cantaloupe, diced |
|3/4 cup sugar |
|3 tablespoons lime juice |
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract |
|2 cups half-and-half |
|2 eggs |
|1/2 teaspoon salt |
|1/2 teaspoon ground ginger |
|1 cup heavy cream |
- Puree cantaloupe with 1/2 cup half-and-half in a blender.
- Pour cantaloupe puree into a pot, pour remaining half-and-half into pot and turn heat to medium. Allow contents to become warm, not boil then turn heat off.
- In mixing bowl, beat together lime juice, salt, eggs, ginger, sugar and vanilla with eggs.
- Pour egg mixture into warm pot and stir for 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium while stirring.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, remove contents and churn. After churned, place in freezer. Remove after frozen and enjoy!