Easy Authentic Tamales
Finally, there’s a simple to follow recipe for amazing homemade tamales.
Serves 16 |
|2 cups water, (plus more) |
|2/3 cup lard |
|1 1/4 lbs pork loin |
|2 cups masa harina, (type of flour) |
|1 clove garlic |
|1 cup sour cream |
|4 chile pods, (dried) |
|11 oz beef broth |
|2 teaspoons salt |
|8 oz cornhusks, (dried) |
|1 onion, (halved) |
|1 teaspoon baking powder |
- In a Dutch oven, add in garlic, pork loins and onion. Fill with water, enough to cover ingredients. Bring contents to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove seeds and stems from chile pods. Place chiles into a saucepan, pour in 2 cups water and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Pour chiles and water into a blender. Puree until smooth. Strain the mixture. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt to chile mix.
- Shred the pork, add in 1 cup of chile mix. Toss together.
- Place cornhusks in a bowl of warm water and let soak. Remove from water and pat dry once well soaked.
- In a separate bowl, beat together a tablespoon of beef broth with lard. Beat until fluffy. Add in remaining salt, masa harina and baking powder. Beat together, add more broth to make spongy dough.
- Spread a thin layer of the dough into the cornhusks, about 1/4 inch thick. Add a tablespoon of pork into the middle and fold sides inward. Steam for 1 hour.
- Remove husks from tamales, drizzle the remaining sauce over each tamale. Top with sour cream.
Warning: mysqli_connect(): (42000/1044): Access denied for user 'db_chief'@'localhost' to database 'dwgreen_cms' in /var/www/vhosts/lafiestamarkets.com/httpdocs/recipes/_DBConnect.class.php on line 14
Warning: mysqli_error() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, null given in /var/www/vhosts/lafiestamarkets.com/httpdocs/recipes/_DBConnect.class.php on line 15
Database selection failed [dwgreen_cms]: